Chocolate for breakfast?
Heck yes! Is chocolate ever bad at any time of day? I have this for breakfast about 5 times a week. My partner knows that when we wake up in the morning, I’ll probably be reaching for the oatmeal before anything else. I’m not really sure what’s so addicting about it. The oatmeal, banana, raw cacao, flax, and hemp seeds just combine so deliciously well together. It’s a powerhouse breakfast, around 450 calories and full of protein (16 g) and fiber (13 g). A proper breakfast like this will rev up your metabolism for the rest of the day, keeping your energy high. This recipe keeps me energized and full often until lunch. Some of the benefits of the ingredients:
- Oatmeal contains a unique fiber called beta-glucan, which has been proven to lower bad cholesterol levels, protect against heart disease, help the body fight off infections easier, and stabilize blood sugar.
- Bananas are packed with dietary fiber and nutrients such as vitamin C, potassium, vitamin B6, and manganese.
- Raw cacao (not to be confused with commercial chocolate sold in stores, which has been processed and stripped of all its healthful properties) is full of antioxidants, containing about 4 times the anti-aging compounds as goji berries. It is also a rich source of magnesium, vitamin C, vitamin A, zinc, iron, and chromium.
- Flax seeds are a great vegan source of protein, omega 3 fats, and fiber. The omega 3′s are great for maintaining proper blood circulation and overall heart health, and the fiber helps to keep a healthy digestive system. Flax seeds have also been proven to decrease insulin resistance and stabilize blood sugar.
- Hemp seeds have a ideal balance of omega 3 and 6 fatty acids, a full amino acid spectrum, and provide a complete vegan source of protein. Hemp seeds also contain stearidonic acid and gamma linolenic acid, which help the body convert the benefits of omega 3 and 6 more efficiently. You should be able to get hemp seeds at most grocery stores in the natural food section, or at health food stores. I use hemp hearts by the brand Manitoba Harvest.
Chocolate Banana Oatmeal
1 cup instant oats, or 2 packets of instant oatmeal
1 frozen* banana, sliced (slice before freezing)
1 cup boiling water
1 tablespoon raw cacao or cocoa powder
1 tablespoon flax seed powder
1 tablespoon hemp seeds or hearts
1. Boil water. Put oats and banana in a bowl.
3. Spoon in the cacao powder, flax seeds, and hemp seeds.
4. Combine well. You may need to add a little more boiling water to get everything well mixed and to the consistency you like. Enjoy! :)
*I prefer to use frozen banana instead of fresh for this recipe. I find the consistency better. Of course, feel free to experiment and decide what you like best for yourself!